8.03.2009

Pretty In Pink: Nancy Jay


Meet Nancy Jay!

Business: Premier Designs Jewelry


Snapshot of your business? I sell high fashion jewelry, which is in between costume jewelry and the “real stuff. We often call it “bridge jewelry”. Premier Designs offers something for everyone with our reasonable prices and varied styles from romantic and classic to bold, dramatic, and bling. I assist women by going into their homes and teaching them and their friends how to accessorize their wardrobes with jewelry to economize in today’s tough financial times. I also teach women how to get this jewelry free, as well as how to supplement or replace their income by building a successful direct sales jewelry business. In addition, I do catalogue shows and take wholesale individual orders.

What inspired you start your business? Due to chronic health issue, I cannot work a traditional 9 to 5 job. I was in the “right place at the right time” when I heard about Premier. I had always been a jewelry lover and loved the product Premier offers, along with the flexibility the business opportunity would allow me. It was the best decision ever as it has changed my life!
How long have you been in business? I started with Premier in February of this year.

What is a typical work day? On a day I am not doing a home show, my day consists of a combination of marketing, developing my business, calling customers and hostesses, recording shows, doing my “books” (I try to avoid that at all costs, ugh ;), and going to as many networking events as I can. On a day I am doing a home show, typically I arrive at the hostess’ home an hour before to set up, the show lasts 2 hours and then I take about ½ hour to gather my stuff…plus travel of course.

What is your proudest moment in business? My proudest moments have to come from the personal connections I make with customers. I have a few I can recall but the one that stands out is when I sold a watch to an elderly woman in the hair salon I go to. She is also disabled and has limited income but she wanted that watch so much. I sold it to her on the spot and reduced the price significantly to make it feasible for her to afford it. I did take a hit but the smile on her face when she went around showing everyone her new watch was priceless!!! I still keep in touch with her to this day and she calls me her “gem” ;)

What is your current business challenge? My biggest challenge has to be the fact the, due to being ill for quite a long time, I don’t have as large of a social network as I’d like, as well as that much physical stamina. These limitations make it very difficult to really get out there and get known and book shows. I am working on overcoming these. (oops..i think I gave 2 challenges ;)


What motivates or inspires you to keep going? What keeps me going are two things: the fact that I was out of work for 5 years and now I am able to work due the flexibility that Premier affords me. Secondly, I LOVE the product I sell and the company I work for and what they stand for. Premier Designs treats me like gold, no matter how much or how little I sell and they were the only company to have sent me a card and flowers when I was recovering from surgery and a subsequent life threatening event. (I mightadd..this beautiful bouquet and card came from the owners of this HUGE company so they really keep on top of their jewelers and go out of their way to make you feel special and appreciated for your work.

What is your favorite motivational quote?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall-Confucious

Family? I have a wonderful husband, Cliff, who is very supportive of my going back to work and is also a strong fan of Premier Designs. I also have 3 kitties..Teddy, Lilly, and Minnie. They are my “furry kids”..but they are more like regular kids to me since I do not have any.

How do you balance running a business, family and “me time”? Since my energy is limited, I always feel like I need to take every moment of it to work and I don’t engage in much “me time”, to be honest. So, striking that balance has been really difficult, I must admit. However, I am working on it and the meetings that GBA provides is an awesome help since they provide us with a forum to discuss these issues.

What is your favorite “me time” activity? Hmm..I do so much with my husband it is hard to say…probably listening to music and singing since music and singing are two of my other passions in life.

What is your best piece of advice for other Always Busy Women in Business? As hard as it is as a business owner, try not to let work consume your life and be the only thing you have. It’s easy to fall into that pattern, especially when you are like me and always feel there is something to be done and have trouble leaving your work “at the office”, which is often our homes, and not thinking about it 24/7. Not to mention, not having any time for yourself or your family. That will make for one irritable and unhappy person, not to mention put a huge strain on your relationships with family and friends. On the other hand, if you allow yourself to engage in non work activities, including “me time” and time for your family, you’ll be a more well rounded and happier person in the end and you will subsequently be a happier and more successful business owner.

Do you have a favorite business tool and/or resource? For me, it is my upline and networking and speaking with other small business owners, like in groups such as GBA.


What is next for your business? I am really looking to engage in a lot more social marketing to build my customer base. I am also looking into re-structuring some of my shows and sales strategies to increase my sales. Also, I am working to promote our brand new line, which just came out last week and is absolutely beautiful!!!

Special Offer? I would like to offer 15% off everything in the entire catalogue to GBA members. Also, I will be offering my retired items at 10% off.

No comments: